The DO’S & DONT’S of Mold Remediation

Mold is something that a lot of homeowners in Florida experience each year. If you find mold on your property or in your workplace, you will need to take it seriously. There are many different strains of mold, and a lot of them can be hazardous to your health. Here are some important “DO’s” and “DON’T’s” pertaining to mold and mold removal:

DON’T assume that you are automatically protected and that mold cannot affect you or family members. Many of the molds that can reside in a home produce airborne pathogens called mycotoxins that can be harmful to your health if ingested or breathed in. Sensitivity to these pathogens begins to develop over time.

DON’T try and get rid of the mold by spraying bleach or any other household cleaning agent on the mold. This is dangerous for your health, and this can also have the opposite effect on the mold spores. Bleach could possibly stimulate the mold to begin producing more spores. Another reason why bleach isn’t the solution to your mold problem is because bleach products contain water and can actually cause the mold to become more active by providing a source of moisture. The objective when removing mold is not sterilizing the surface, it is to completely kill the mold colony.

DON’T try to only rid your home of the visible mold. Dead mold spores and mold particles that have become airborne due to scrubbing and sandblasting can also be harmful to the human lungs. Mold penetrates porous materials and can hide in places that you normally wouldn’t expect. You may not be able to see it, but it is still there; ready to come back out once the conditions are favorable. Getting rid of mold is best left to the professionals who have experience, equipment, and the chemicals needed to get the job done right the first time.

DON’T try to get rid of mold just by painting over it. The mold is still there – as well as the harmful pathogens that it carries. Paint will quickly fail and peel off, and the mold will be exposed yet again.

DON’T blow fans on the mold thinking that this will make it disappear. When you blow into a mold infested area, the mycotoxins will spread into the air and throughout the house. The air quality in your home will become much worse, making the cleanup even more difficult.

DO make sure to wear protection for yourself, including a properly fitted respirator with HEPA filtration cartridges, gloves, and a hazmat suit.

DO put up walls of containment using plastic sheeting, which will minimize the chance that the spores will spread.

DO use a HEPA vacuum and negative air pressure so that you can filter and ventilate the area that was contaminated by mold.

DO call a certified, experienced, and reputable mold remediation company so that you can get an assessment of your mold issue. Mold removal is very tedious and is best done by professionals who have the manpower and equipment to get the job done correctly and efficiently.

DO use a mold testing service to verify your mold problem prior to contacting a mold remediation firm. After the mold remediation has been completed, use the agency again to make sure that the problem was corrected completely. Mold removal companies who also claim to perform mold testers cannot always be trusted since they benefit from positive test results. Seek an unbiased testing company to verify that your home is completely mold-free.

Comments are closed